Thursday 3 September 2009

Tara McPherson and practicing colouring

There's this artist I really like, in fact I think shes on her way to becoming my favorite. I only found the artist Tara McPherson http://www.taramcpherson.com/art/around a week ago after reading this months copy of Imagine FX and fell in love with her work instantly. I love her colours and images, usually with nude drawings I feel very uncomfortable, maybe because the female characters seem rather weak to me and vulnerable... and in some cases sex objects (especially nudes on deviant art). But in McPherson's work this isn't the case. when looking at her characters I always get the impression that there strong, there's an innocence about them and the sense that there completely comfortable.

One of my favorite images by her is her Weight of Water Part Three



I would highly recommend looking at her work. She has inspired me a lot and i hope to create better art because of her work. I have been unhappy with my images recently, I've tried moving more to realism over what most call Aime however I'm still not satisfied with it. I think its because I need to work on my style more and add a lot more emotion and story to my pictures rather than falling back on over used themes. Its nice when you finally figure out whats missing from your art work. Its really inspiring.

While reading McPherson's blog I found this video. I find it fascinating to watch other people paint. I think it gives a brilliant in site on how an artist creates and especially helps those still learning. What I like more about this video though is the fact shes painting the walls of a gallery. There is a much more friendly atmosphere because of it. Its also links everything together with a definite feeling this is McPherson's gallery showing.


While reading her blog I stumbled across this http://www.darkhorse.com/Features/Games/983/Tara-McPherson-Coloring-Book which I thought was kinda cool. While it was suppose to be done online I was having problems with lag due to my laptop having issues of over heating etc. so I decided to print it and colour it with markers for colouring practice.



It was a lot of fun to do, especially since how much I love McPherson's work. Its nice once in a while to colour someone else's work as it lets you think solely about colour rather than fixing mistakes you have made in your work etc. I want to colour more line art because of this.

Anyway that's all for now. I will probably do another update later with my sketches.

Thanks for reading and happy drawing/writing/whatever you guys do.

No comments:

Post a Comment