Friday 4 September 2009

Space

Every artist has a space in which they create art. Some have massive studios others tiny spaces within there home which they dedicate to there art. I currently live out a bedroom in some small town in England and while I would prefer a room in which to dedicate as my drawing space sadly this isn't currently available to me. Hopefully in the future I can have my own studio :)

For now my studio space is a small fold out table that is next to the bed.


It folds out again to be bigger then that if I need it, however because of the seam I would have to buy a piece of wood to sit on the table so that the seams of the table don't show on my work. For now I have to make do with what I have. Please excuse the horrible curtains. Its not my house and I'm currently with my boyfriend paying board for the spare room. Pity it has awful curtains.





This is only some of my art materials. Because I use my markers a lot I don't put them away, unlike my acrylics and watercolours. On my desk at the moment I have several pads of Bristol board which is my favorite paper out there for markers, my sketch book, my scratch book (warm up book that's full if lines circles etc.), a shoe box which has my pencils drawing pens rubbers etc. in, boxes are good for organisation, my list of things to do book, which I document all the projects I'm working on and how much work still needs doing for each of them (that's the black one with a fairy on the cover). There's also a couple of photo references books which are useful from time to time, two boxes of markers (one for my kurecolour ones and one for my promarkers) my trusty colour wheel and a glass of water for my paint brushes.

You can also see my latest line art Chains (working title) on the table. I haven't started colouring it yet as I'm waiting on an order of markers and even then it all depends on whether the blues I've ordered are light enough to when I can start colouring it.

I also keep things such as my glasses, my watch and a box of tissues on my desk. While there not art related I keep my glasses and my watch there so I can find them easily in the morning, and well tissues... they come in useful for when I have a cold or need to take some of the water off my brushes so no art studio should be without them :D

this table is also used to set up my laptop and tablet on from time to time. my laptop is used mainly for collecting reference photos and often i use it to print a reference out and look for references and obviously look at tutorials and artists work i like. when it comes to digital art however i use the more powerful PC down stairs due to its nice big screen.


I have learned to utilise the space I have available. With a simple board that has been supported by the legs of the table I have more room to keep things. Here i keep my printer which I use to print off references sometimes, and writing for my art work. There's also all my Imagine FX magazines stored in box's here, a messy pile of manga and a book on illustration.

Most of my books whether they be art related or not are stored under the bed along with my DVD's, hopefully when the new wardrobes get fitted a lot of these will move some of these (especially the DVD's) onto shelves

My other materials such as paintbrushes, other types of paper, watercolours acrylics etc. are in boxes put away in the built in cupboard which is going to be replaced with a built in full wall wardrobe soon... finally been able to hang up my clothes is going to be awesome.

These are all the art books and magazines that I currently own except for one book on illustration ( I recently got that one). A few of which because i don't use them I'm thinking of selling along with my film books.


I think its important to read books not only on technique but other artists and art theory to gain an in site into the art world. Though I would recommend reading them from the local library over buying them as some art books can be expensive.

Anywho that's a look at my space which I create art, its nothing fancy but its where I work from for now.

Happy drawing writing or whatever you guys do.

No comments:

Post a Comment