Friday 22 January 2010

"Believe it or not, I can actually draw."

this quote i thought very fitting title. i always feel very awkward sharing my sketch from my sketch book. my digital sketches are a lot more refined, probably because i want to practice drawing line art on the PC. my sister commented the other week when looking through my sketch book "its hard to believe that your ideas and sketches for a final piece start off looking like that," as flipped through my other sketch book (I'll update its drawings another day.) Believe it or not, i can actually draw defiantly sums it up. my sketch book doesn't show off my abilities much, probably because i rarely (there is a few cases here) spend more then 5 min's sketching a picture in it. and see it more as a gesture process quick character design, even ideas occasionally.

these are all gesture drawing. i tend to draw from photo reference books but don't get bogged down in details. i do this by setting a time limit on the drawing so that i concentrate more on the pose and gesture then every little detail, i don't like pencil much hence why there drawn in pencil crayon or pen most of the time.

these are drawn from Comic Artist's Photo Reference: Women and Girls by Buddy Scalera

Comic Artist's Reference: People and Poses by Buddy Scalera, origin spirits of the past anime DVD cover, some woman which was talking on the phone in Starbucks and someone leaning on a wall across the street (waiting for shops to open is a good time to sit and have a cup of chocolate or tea and draw.)






these are ideas for possible characters, i was practicing character design for a few of them, there's an unfinished dragon, a fat super saiyan (my boyfriends words) , an old man, a girl holding a paper hot air balloon, a guy with steam pun goggles, and a girl who's hair style changes from picture to picture who also wears goggles and usually a hat.






i don't use a rubber so a lot of the original sketch lines are left from the initial sketch

and i'm ending on a 1 mint doodle which i did on the last page of my sketch book. happy drawing/writing/whatever you guys do





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for using my photo book to create your artwork. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

    (Tip: If you mention my name in the post, it will alert me that you've posted more stuff.)

    Buddy Scalera
    http://www.buddyscalera.com
    http://www.wordspicturesweb.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. your reference books have been a huge help so thank you for putting them together.

    sorry this is so late, i need to set my blog up so it notify me when i get comments.

    ReplyDelete